How to Make Your Website Shine in 7 Quick Steps
By Krista Soriano
Click to Answer
Your website is the digital home of your business, often the first page prospective clients land on.
Time to audit your site to make sure you’re not committing any of these homepage #fails:
1. A clear call to action. If your users ask “what am I supposed to do here?” you’ve already lost their attention.
2. Simple navigation. Follow the KISS rule: keep your menus and top navigation simple! (Because the "KYMATNS rule" doesn’t have quite the same ring to it.) Don’t have too many choices to bewilder users.
3. Less is more. Your users are scanning your homepage for what they need, not cozying up with a cup of tea for a long read. Take a cue from Apple’s minimalist homepage.
4. Know your audience. Know who’s coming to your site and give them what they’re coming for up front, whether that’s news, your latest products, or a specific newsletter sign-up.
5. Be unique. Don’t break the cardinal rule of branding (and copyright infringement law). It’s important that your audience can tell the difference between you and your competitors.
6. Update often. Keep your site fresh with updates on the regular, and you’ll keep users coming back.
7. Check your ABCs. Spell check, spell check, spell check.